- Town & City Clerk
- Marriage Licenses
BEGINNING JUNE 9 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 1 THE BRISTOL TOWN CLERK'S OFFICE WILL CLOSE ON FRIDAYS AT 2:00 P.M.
The Town Clerk’s Office is open to provide marriage license services by appointment only. Please call us at 860-584-6200 ext. 0 or email us at TownClerk@BristolCT.gov.
The Town Clerk’s office is now open in our new location of 150 Main Street (the old Webster Bank building).
Marriage License Application Process
You will need the following items before a marriage license can be issued to you:
- Marriage application.
You must apply for the marriage license only in the town where the ceremony takes place.
- There are two ways to apply for a marriage license in Bristol: a) You can complete an on-line worksheet which is transmitted directly to the Bristol Town Clerk’s Office. Bring your confirmation number with you to the Office. b) You may also download an application which you can complete and bring with you.
- Once you have a date and an officiator please call us to make an appointment. When you arrive at City Hall, you must also present your current photo identification - a driver’s license, if you are a U.S. citizen and a passport or some other official government photo identification, if you are not a U.S. citizen.
- Both future spouses must appear when applying for a marriage license, in order to take their oaths. It is not necessary for both parties to appear at the same time, if their schedules do not permit it.
- The fee for a marriage license is $50.00, payable at the time of application. We do not accept credit or debit cards or out-of-state checks as payment.
- The marriage license is only valid for 65 days, from the date of the application to the date of the marriage.
- You should provide the Town Clerk’s Office with the name of the person performing the ceremony or the religious facility where it will be held.
- The original marriage certificate must be signed and returned by the person performing the ceremony to the Town Clerk’s Office where the marriage ceremony occurred.
- Marriage restrictions.
- Applicants must be over 16 years of age.
- If the applicants are over 16 years of age, but under 18 years of age, the Bristol Judge of Probate must award consent for marriages performed in Bristol.
For additional restrictions or information, please contact the Town Clerk’s Office at (860)584-6200 ext. 0. Marriage licenses are by appointment only.