Animal Control

The animal control officers (ACO) can be contacted at the Animal Shelter at (860) 584-3087. If there is no answer, please leave a message. Your call will be returned as soon as possible. If it is an emergency, please call the Bristol Police Department at (860) 584-3011. If you have a complaint such as a roaming dog, or dog bite and the ACO is not working, please call the Police Department. Police officers will also handle these types of complaints.

The shelter is located on Vincent P. Kelly Road across from the Bristol Public Works Department.


The shelter is not equipped to pick up cats. The ACO will not respond to stray cat complaints. However, if public safety is involved such as a rabid cat or animal abuse or neglect, the ACO will respond to investigate. If you have a stray or unwanted cat, please contact the Connecticut Humane Society at (860) 594-4502 for further information. They are located at:

701 Russell Road
Newington CT


If you have a general wildlife problem such as a skunk in the yard or a bee’s nest, please contact the Department of Environmental Protection. Their organization maintains a list of wildlife officers that can help you these types of problems. They can be called anytime at (860) 424-3333.