STARTING APRIL 15TH, THE BRISTOL BUILDING DEPARTMENT WILL LAUNCH OUR NEW ONLINE PERMITTING SYSTEM PROVIDED BY VIEWPOINT CLOUD. PERMIT APPLICANTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY ONLINE AFTER THIS DATE. TO ACCESS THE ONLINE PERMITTING SYSTEM, CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK: BRISTOLCT.VIEWPOINTCLOUD.COM
The Building Inspection Department is responsible for the public safety, health, and welfare for those people who live, work, and play in the City of Bristol. Whether in our homes, offices, schools, stores, factories, or places of entertainment, we rely on the safety of the structures that surround us in our everyday lives. This is accomplished by enforcing the current prevailing building codes, zoning regulations, ordinances, and statutes adopted by the City of Bristol and the State of Connecticut.
The Building Department has many functions including:
- Conducting inspections
- Issuing certificates of occupancy for the use and completion of structures
- Issuing and reviewing applications for permits
- Reviewing construction plans
- Zoning Enforcement
- Tag Sale Permits are issued in the office.
The department also responds to emergency situations such as any occurrence that affects the integrity of a structure, damaged structures, fires, and floods.
Additional Department Responsibilities
- Code Enforcement - In 2008, we expanded on our role in the area of code enforcement. We have developed cooperative relationships with the Police Department, Fire Department, Public Works, and the Bristol / Burlington Health District. These cooperative relationships have allowed a heightened enforcement of adverse property maintenance conditions which has improved the quality of life for many Bristol residents.
- Customer Service - Under the leadership of the Mayor, the Building Department has implemented new policies to improve customer service and provide a better response to the needs of our customers. We will continue to work on making the experience of applying for a building, zoning, or mechanical permit a pleasant one.
We are always open to suggestions about how to make the permitting process better. Please feel free to share your thoughts and suggestions on how we can better serve you.